About the city of Glenwood
Glenwood has earned the Home Base Iowa Community designation to demonstrate our support for veterans and transitioning service members. On September 12, 2017, the Glenwood City Council unanimously passed a resolution in support of the Home Base Iowa initiative. In support of the Home base Iowa initiative, the City of Glenwood has established a set of community incentives to facilitate a smooth transition from active duty to civilian life in Glenwood. Glenwood provides these benefits to veterans relocating to Glenwood after August 31, 2017.
Home Base Iowa (HBI) communities offer valuable incentives for veterans who relocate to their community. Please contact the HBI community point of contact or county veteran director for more information.
Welcome Package from Anne Smith of Welcome Newcomers Mills County @ (712) 520-2696. Anne welcomes all newcomers with a wealth of information and resources to aid in your transition.
- Kenkel Family Chiropractic offers a complementary initial consultation @ (712) 527-5800
- The Salon Hair and Nails offers a free haircut @ (712) 527-4291
- The Mills County YMCA offers military discounts, new member offers and more @ (712) 527-4352
- Flat Iron Laundry Center offers 10% off dry cleaning or laundry drop off @ (712) 527-3285
- Therapeutic Bodyworks offers $10 off an hour message @ (712) 527-9880
- Newman’s Thriftway offers 8 PK Cinnamon Rolls with coupon @ (712) 527-9912
- Country Tire-Glenwood offers 10% discount on initial automotive service @ (712) 527-3621
- Garden Treasures offers 10% off entire first time purchase @ (712) 527-3602
- Evans Equipment Company offers 10% discount on your first equipment rental @ (712) 527-1440
- Gregg Aistrope Agency will give you a $2 bill with coupon @ (712) 527-3189
- Bluff View Motel offers $10 off a one-night stay with reservation @ (712) 622-8191
- John Gregory of Farm Bureau Financial Services offers a welcome gift with visit @ (712) 527-3153
- Tri-Star Heating & Air, Inc. offers free in home orientation @ (712) 527-5291
- Great Western Bank offers $50 in cash with qualification @ (712) 527-4826
- Keg Creek Brewing Company offers free flight with coupon @ (712) 520-902
Several businesses offer complementary promotional items to welcome you to the community.
Welcome Newcomers Celebration-Invitation to the quarterly Welcome Newcomers Mills County Celebration to meet other new and current community members.
Community Tour-The Chamber of Commerce can arrange for a community tour and facilitate arranging meetings with various service providers in our community.
Home Base Iowa Statewide Veteran Incentives
The Home Base Iowa Act positions Iowa as a leader in respect, support and employment of veterans through a public-private partnership. The Iowa Legislature passed the Act in a broad bi-partisan manner and then Governor Terry E. Branstad signed it into law on Memorial Day, 2014. The Act contains the following incentives:
- Military Pensions exempt from state income tax
- Up to $7,500 toward the purchase of a home
- Permissive veteran preference in employment
- Automatic in-state tuition at state universities and community colleges for qualified veterans and their dependents
- Search/view Iowa businesses committed to hiring veterans
- Search/view communities that offer local veteran incentives
- Search/view colleges/universities promoting veteran issues and supporting veterans and their families
Statewide Veteran Resources
Learn more about veteran-specific resources and services available throughout the state. Below are links to highlighted resources: